Ministry for Pastors and other Ministers
Places and Resources for Respite and Renewal. The Classis Minister Support & Supervision Committeee solicited ideas and recommendations from the ministers and lay leaders within the Classis for places or resources they found assisted them with renewal, spiritual formation, and stress-reduction. The list is accessed with the link.
Pine Rest Services Assistance Program
The RCA Board of Benefit Services has an agreement with Pine Rest Health Services to provide three counseling sessions for RCA ministers. Go to the RCA website to learn how to access this service.
Quiet Waters Retreat Center — Renewing Christian Leaders. Located in Denver CO (303) 639-9066
- Couples Retreats
- Sabbatical Starting Point
- Pastoral Counseling
- Spiritual Formation
Ministering to Ministers Foundation — Communicating, Advocating, Reclaiming, and Equipping (CARE)
- Wellness Retreats for ministers and spouses who experience force terminations
- Advocacy for Pastors with contract issues
- Personal coaching through transitions
A small group of 4-7 ministers who meet regularly for support, accountability and learning. Contact the Holland Classis Coordinator.
One to one mentoring for listening and feedback. Sponsored by RCA Board of Benefit Services. Contact the Holland Classis Coordinator.
Holland Classis Church Leader Clusters
Orientation Agenda and Next Steps
A Holland Classis Cluster Invitation
A cluster is a grouping of leaders (pastors, professional staff, consistory members, etc) from churches which have identified themselves as a grouping. The purpose of forming clusters in the Holland Classis is to enable churches to journey together in creative ways and to support one another in order to build effective leaders. The vehicle for fulfilling this purpose is support, accountability and nurture/training among and between its church leaders, in other words, intentionally crafted relationships.
A cluster and a network are similar in their purpose and role. The main difference is that a cluster is a grouping of churches, while a network is a gathering of individuals. Therefore, both networks and clusters can meet simultaneously and benefit from the common time. In fact, a cluster may choose to form two or more networks within the cluster to achieve the purpose of a cluster.
- The cluster will provide a place where various church leaders can learn about each other and share a common call to ministry, as well as share their frustrations and failings.
- The cluster will be a place where a church’s leaders can share its vision, mission and strategy for ministry with other church leaders (churches), and those churches will lovingly hold the church accountable for its ministry.
- The cluster will dedicate time to transformational learning. That is, learning that makes a difference in their ministry.
- The cluster gathering can include a time when a consistory can plan its ministry goals and strategy for the coming year.
- The Classis will accomplish its vision, mission and ministry through its committees, clusters and networks. Each of these groupings will offer a distinct contribution to the Classis ministry and relationships.
In the Beginning
We are looking for several churches that are interested in and desirous to participate in a cluster. We intend to start with a few and later expand to Classis as a whole when the initial experiment demonstrates success. This is a pilot effort with churches which are willing to pioneer a new dimension in the Holland Classis. To launch this pilot group, we anticipate these steps…
Assemble pastors and vice presidents, in order to present the concept of clusters and how a cluster would work.
- Identify one or two “anchor” churches with which clusters may be formed by those who respond to the invitation.
- Enlist a team of persons (hopefully one from each church) will serve as the cluster leaders. The Classis Coordinator, and/or others, will work with them to plan and facilitate cluster meetings.
- Encourage the cluster/s to meet at their own determined schedule. At present, we foresee sessions in the fall and in the spring. These sessions may vary in length. Eventually, these could be the present times when the Holland Classis meets in September and March.
- Focus the cluster gatherings on:
- LEADERSHIP – working together as a local church team to fulfill a vision;
- Clarifying the VISION/MISSION that inspires a local church to follow Christ in mission;
- How the local church MINISTRY is making a difference in our community.